This unique laboratory allows our care team to manipulate the external environment using a hypo/hyperbaric environmental chamber, which can simulate various altitudes, depths, or temperatures precisely.
The primary clinical use of our laboratory is hyperbaric oxygen therapy.
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy speeds recovery by increasing the amount of oxygen in the blood. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy infuses 100% oxygen at pressure levels that are two to three times greater than normal. The resultant high oxygen pressure allows the lungs and body tissues to absorb oxygen and in greater amounts. This process promotes and accelerates healing.
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is used for the following conditions:
• Complications arising from prior radiation treatments
• Compromised skin grafts
• Diabetic foot ulcers
• Chronic bone infections
• Peripheral vascular disease
• Spider bites
• Gas gangrene infections
• Reattachment of limbs and surgical incisions
• Decompression illness from scuba diving injuries
• Carbon monoxide poisoning
• Traumatic wound injuries to bone, muscle or blood vessels
• Sudden blindness or partial loss of vision
• Sudden hearing loss
Texas Health Dallas is one of the only multiple-patient hyperbaric facilities in Texas. Our caregivers provide direct hands-on patient care to up to seven patients, simultaneously, within the hyperbaric environment.
The spacious treatment compartment at the Hyperbaric Medicine Unit at Texas Health Dallas offers:
• A large, comfortable, and relaxed treatment environment
• Decreased patient anxiety and claustrophobia
• Big-screen TV for patient entertainment
• Multiple seating options that accommodate patients of various body sizes
• Recumbent bedding for non-ambulatory patients
• Easy access for patient entry and exit
In addition to comfort and convenience, the Hyperbaric Medicine Unit at Texas Health Dallas also provides:
• A care team consisting of medical staff physicians specializing in hyperbaric medicine and wound care, ICU certified critical care nurses, and technical staff trained and experienced in hyperbaric medicine.
• The Hyperbaric Medicine Unit at Texas Health Dallas is the largest multi-place facility in North Texas accredited by the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society (UHMS). The facility is one of the few centers in the U.S. that offers the full scope of services for the hyperbaric patient, including critical care, emergency life- or limb-threatening conditions, and diving accidents.The Hyperbaric Medicine Unit at Texas Health Dallas also is a Divers Alert Network (DAN) referral facility.
• The Hyperbaric Medicine Unit at Texas Health Dallas, in association with the University of Texas Southwestern, offers advanced hyperbaric fellowship training for physicians interested in hyperbaric medicine. The Hyperbaric Medicine Fellowship is approved by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME).
For more information, or refer a patient for hyperbaric oxygen therapy, please contact:
Hyperbaric Medicine Unit at Texas Health Dallas
Institute for Exercise and Environmental Medicine
7232 Greenville Ave.
Dallas, Texas 75231